"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,

The fruit of the womb is a reward."--Psalm 127:3


"But Mary kept all these things,

and pondered them in her heart."--Luke 2:19





Thursday, July 24, 2008

I slept through the night in my own bed last night!

Until he was about 8 months old, Evan slept in our room with access to the all night buffet (Me). We started to slowly transition him to sleep through the night in his own bed about two months ago. We started with the whole sleep routine thing including a bath, pajamas, book, prayers, and baby lotion. Then I night-weaned him (No nursing between the hours of 10 pm and 6:00 am), while he was still sleeping in our room. That was probably the hardest part. After about two weeks, he was comfortable with the idea of no mid-night snacking and we moved him up to his own bed. We either slept in his room or the upstairs guest room. At first he woke up between 4 and 7 times per night SCREAMING. We went to him and rubbed his back and laid him back down until he went to sleep again. Sometimes it would take up to an hour to get him back to sleep. We figured out that alot of his waking was due to teething pains and wet diapers. We used Orajel and Tylenol for the teething, and Aunt Kelly turned us on to the Huggies Overnight Diapers. It worked like a charm. Gradually he went back to sleep much easier and then he started waking up less during the night. After a month he was only waking up once or twice per night, which was really good for him. But we have been stalled right there for about a month now, and I pretty much just resigned myself to the fact that I would be going into Evan's college dorm room to rub his back to help him get back to sleep at 2:00 am. But MAYBE NOT! It appears there is hope because last night he slept like a big boy all by himself in his crib from almost 10:00 pm to 6:30 am. I am hoping that stretch gets a little longer but I am very proud of him this morning!